Thursday, April 12, 2007

Dallas, TX
IT'S A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL

Dallas is an amazing city. I have been here just a few times but on this particular trip I was able to see a part of Dallas that I had not seen before...Frisco! The event SRC was participating in was held at the Embassy Suites in Frisco and can I just say, what a facility. I was told that it is only a couple of years old but still in excellent condition. This was the second event for this particular group and what a pleasure it is to work with them. I am so impressed with each person I meet and the AV group is terrific. The audience was tremendous...all business owners. Some who came on their own and others who brought members of their staff. In all I would say that there were about 150 people attending.

The speaker kicking off the event was Dr. Kenneth Cooper, the founder of the famous Cooper Clinic located in Dallas, TX. I was able to listen to his presentation and I have a new resolve to exercise and eat better. He gave three words that will become my mantra as I work to change the physical aspect of my life: EXERCISE, EDUCATE, MOTIVATE. Aren't those words great! let's say it together: Exercise (your body), Educate (your mind), Motivate (your whole self). After he spoke everyone who had eaten a danish or gooey muffin was feeling a bit sheepish. His presentation was excellent.

My aunt has worked at the Cooper Clinic for years and as we flew into Dallas last night I wondered if there would be a chance for me to ask Dr. Cooper if he knows Viki. I did not at the time recall that Viki is Dr. Cooper's right hand woman. As I was setting up my laptop this morning I looked up and Viki walked in. I caught her eye and smiled. There wasn't immediate recognition on her part...the last time she saw me I had just returned from a day of skiing (two years ago) and did not look especially pleasant. In fact I looked down right scary. Before that last encounter it had been at least 8 years since I had seen her and I still had the nineties permed hair...pretty. So, it took her a minute to make the connection between that Chelsea and the suit wearing, direction giving Chelsea. Once she did make the connection it was awesome! I wish we had had an entire afternoon to catch up but as it was we had a minute or two here and there. It turns out Viki is great friends with the hosts of the event so it was great to make that connection. I am just thrilled to have seen Viki and reconnected with her. She is an amazing, beautiful woman whom I have missed seeing in the past few years.

This is a picture of me and Viki. I look like a giant next to her. We both have big cheezers and it looks like I have gum balls stuffed in my cheeks. I don't know what that's all about.
For those who have ever planned a big event whether personal or professional there are stresses and unknowns no matter how much planning or checking and double checking you do. I could, but I won't, give some examples from my own life that would bring this point home. Consider if you will holding a position of company President and this is the second event you are planning and executing. You have a great team that you can count on and who can count on you. Now consider that your wife is nine months pregnant and although her due date is April 18th the doctor has told her she is already dilated and really, at any moment, could go into labor. This is a true story. Luckily DD's wife did not go into labor before or during the event yesterday. Every time his phone would ring or he would exit the venue all who knew the situation looked up in anticipation. All of us were grateful that the baby did not come during the event. I wish them luck with their new little, pink, bundle of joy...when she comes.

No comments: