Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Maui, Hawaii

You know your job is not so bad when you can travel to Hawaii, work and have time to play. SRC and I flew into Maui on Wednesday, January 24th. Upon arrival we checked into our rooms and I immediately turned around and went to the Ritz Carlton for an audio visual rehearsal. SRC would be speaking to Yum! Brands the following day so it was my turn to do some work to prepare. With the time change I was wiped out by the time I got back to the Grand Wailea so I had some food and went to bed…at 9:30 p.m.

Let me just say that this resort is spectacular and huge! Waterfalls, fish ponds, swimming pools, fountains, ocean, as well as beautiful flowers, palms trees and interesting statues. As I was driven to the Ritz the sun was setting…it was absolutely incredible. Kevin, my driver, told me to watch for whales, which I did and spotted at least one. He also told me a bit about the island and interesting bits of information about the culture.

The event for Yum! Brands was a huge success. There were probably 250 in attendance at this event and all we captivated by what SRC said. He really hit a home run! Both SRC and I were impressed by, not only the group attending, but the entire company and what they stand for. Very impressive! At the conclusion of the program we were driven back to the resort to begin our fun and frolic at the beach.

As I normally do I wore my business suit (black) to the Yum! event. Here I am in Hawaii looking like secret service…totally out of place. SRC and I ate at a pool side bistro which also put me out of place surrounded by swim suits and shorts. I finished lunch, hurried to my room, changed and out to the pool I went. That evening the FranklinCovey group went to the aquarium for dinner and to check out the fish, etc. It was really quite fun! It was my first chance to see everyone from FranklinCovey who was there for President’s Club so that was fun as well. SRC and I found out that he was speaking to the FranklinCovey group Friday morning instead of Saturday morning. That was a bit surprising but we managed.

Friday morning I got down to the ballroom to do my audio visual set-up for SRC’s presentation…business as usual. The meeting started and SRC welcomed everyone and thanked them for being there. As he usually does he pointed to me and told the group I would be assisting him. Then SRC called me to the front of the room. As I was walking to the front he said, “Chelsea is a trained hula dancer and she is going to do a hula for us”. I stopped and turned around…the inner dialogue began, “Chelsea you can either be a stick in the mud and say you won’t do it or you can muster some courage and just do it”. I did it! With the encouragement of the audience I got up on the stage, took my shoes off and prepared to do the hula. SJM happened to have a grass skirt on which he kindly let me borrow. H. Smith volunteered to serenade as I danced. And so it began, Chelsea, on stage by herself dancing the hula in a grass skirt. I had a huge grin on my face the entire time not quite believing that I was in front of 400 people. H. Smith did a fantastic job and when I concluded with a bow the room erupted and gave me a standing ovation. Not bad for having taken three Polynesian dance classes in my lifetime. As I look back on it now I am glad that my courage stepped up to the challenge and I did it. I would have been more embarrassed if my weak side had won and I had not done it. Once that was over SRC started up his presentation and did a fantastic job with the FranklinCovey group. I really do work for a fantastic company and love my job. I have decided that I will not be sharing any secrets with SRC again. What happens in Maui stays in Maui!

Laird Hamilton, the famous surfer, was the guest/surprise speaker after SRC. I just have to say, he is one fine looking man. He was standing behind where I was sitting during SRC’s presentation and when I turned around and saw him there I could not help but do a double take. Wow! He was an excellent speaker as well and the audience seemed to enjoy his message. He spent a good portion of his time answering questions which he said is his preferred way of speaking to a large group. I don’t know if I speak for the entire group but I really enjoyed what he had to say.

I need to add that I love working for FranklinCovey. It is a pleasure to rub shoulders with so many fascinating and wonderful people. As I listened to BW, SM, BB, and SJ give their updates from the 2006 fiscal year I heard the passion that they have for their jobs, the company, and the employees. I am lucky to part of such a great organization.

Friday afternoon was play time! Yahoo! I spent time in the sun, in the pool, on the waterslides, and just having a grand time. It really was a little bit like heaven: cool breeze and warm sun. The waterslides were a blast! Most, if not all, of the pools are connected by the waterslides or lazy river. There is also a bar at one of the pools which we stopped at and were treated to smoothies. So fun! Thanks SJM!! I went to dinner with a fun group at Ruth’s Chris. We laughed and ate and laughed some more. I know some incredible people and I feel lucky that they are my friends and colleagues. You learn the most amazing things about people in a relaxed atmosphere like that.

SRC and I concluded our stay on Maui today. We attended the FC meeting this morning and then I immediately changed and went to the pool for some time in the sun! It was another beautiful day! We are now on our way to Tegucigalpa, Honduras.

No comments: