The flight into Tegucigalpa was uneventful, which is the type of flight we like. SRC and I finally landed at 12:30 p.m. after an all night/morning flight. I was feeling fresh as the morning air. My teeth were wearing a nice cashmere sweater and my skin felt like it had been air brushed with germs. I could not wait to take a shower and brush my teeth. From the airport we were driven to El Zamorano which is part of an Agriculture University in Tegucigalpa. It was like a compound with guards, big buildings, small building, and a church. They had reserved a house for us to rest and get cleaned up. The first thing I did when I got to my room was lye down on the bed. It felt
I must tell you why we were in Tegucigalpa. Two weeks ago I received a call from Mitty, who is the licensee in Honduras. Mitty explained that she had just received a call from the President’s office inviting SRC to come and speak at an event celebrating the President’s first year in office. Wow! SRC and I had visited Honduras in November and at that time had the opportunity to visit with President Zelaya. It was an honor for SRC to be invited to participate in this event. As we arrived at the event site I was amazed by all of the people. I think the audience totaled about 300 people. Most were invited guests of the President but also included Ministry Presidents, Vice Presidents, and cabinet members. Plus, spouses and family members were attending. It was a great group and you could tell they were eager to hear SRC’s message.
The weather was quite warm and the dress for this event was business casual. I did not really come prepared for business casual so I decided on a knee length floral skirt and white shirt. I stood out like a sore thumb as I stepped out of the car amidst those dress in darker colors and their dark complexions and hair. If my long blond hair doesn’t already make me stand out my outfit did. I just put a smile on my face and went into the building.
SRC was welcomed by applause as he walked into the building and after a short introduction by the President’s advisor the presentation began. Oh, before arriving at the event site, Mitty told us that the President had arrived on a Harley Davidson. What a hoot! Can you picture it? The President dressed in his leathers, helmet on, with his entourage of body guards following in front and behind in their armored cars. Quite a site! OK, back to the presentation. SRC did a fantastic job and really engaged the audience, which probably totaled about 250. The audience included the President's cabinet, ministers and their people plus spouses and other invited guests. SRC had an interpreter who did an exceptional job. We
Monday morning SRC was able to teach a group of about 150 people; executives from Tegucigalpa. The impressive thing about this event is that it was pulled together in less than two weeks. Mitty and her team did a phenomenal job. They were a terrific group as well and asked great questions. I have said this before but the Hondurians (is that right?) are beautiful people. They have bright eyes and shining faces. All of them seem happy regardless of their station in life. This group seemed happy to be attending and SRC was nearly stampeded at the end by those who wanted pictures and autographs. Talk about elbows out. I have to get in right up in a few faces of those who were crowding and being forceful themselves. With the language barrier and not understanding, “Move back” they looked at me like I was talking nonsense to them. They soon got over it once their picture had been taken or book signed. It’s either that or SRC gets lost in a crowd of people coming down on him.
As we drove around Tegucigalpa I was amazed at the homes that lined the streets. These homes were worn down, small, and not to clean looking. When we arrived on Sunday after having spent four days at a gorgeous resort on the island of Maui it was a shock to see the poverty and poor conditions. I am sure there are areas that are not like this but we were not able to see that part of Tegucigalpa. We could see homes on the hillsides and from the air I could tell there were areas with larger, newer homes. It was such a contrast from Hawaii. It is such a contract from the neighborhood I live in. I feel ever more appreciative of my circumstances.
No comments:
Post a Comment