May 26-28, 2007
This past weekend I had the opportunity to fly with my aunt to Chicago. It was her first time in Chicago so I was able to play tour guide. We flew in Saturday night and stayed in Winnetka at the home of my great friend, SJM. He was generous enough to open his home to us even though he was not in town.
The heavens were smiling down on us on Sunday. The weather could not have been better: low-mid 70's, a cool breeze and blue skies. I first drove NJM to Highland Park to show her where I used to live and then we made our way to Chicago traveling along Lake Shore drive. It was so beautiful...tree lined streets, everything so green and in bloom. Downtown we walked the Magnificent Mile, shopping here and there, taking pictures, and just enjoying the myriad of things and people to see. The main event of the day was seeing "Wicked". It was spectacular and amazing! I had seen this show once before but for NJM it was a first. She was dazzled by the costumes, set-design, music, shoes...just about everything. It was a fantastic day in Chicago.
Sunday evening NJM went to Naperville to visit some friends and I drove to Aurora to visit my good friend HB. HB was recently married and it was fun to see her new home and to have time to visit with her husband and two step-daughters. It was so fun to get to know them better. L and K are so fun and cute! We feasted on spaghetti and then watched the videos from her wedding. It was great to re-live that event...at least the part that was recorded and that I was there for. The dancing, toasts, bouquet and garter toss...what a hoot! HB and her family surprised me with a birthday cake and singing. It was so fun to celebrate with them. K even made me a birthday card...so thoughtful! I am grateful for a friend like HB.
Monday: Happy Birthday to me! I have a tradition on my birthday. I stay up until midnight on the 27th to welcome the day of my birth and then stay up until midnight on the 28th to say good bye. Silly? Maybe, but it's tradition! This day was out of the ordinary but still great! I went running on the path that I know so well from my time spent in Winnetka and Highland Park. It was wonderful! Talk about memories. After getting cleaned up and going shoe shopping I went to visit with the Walkers in Mundeline. They have three cute, cute children and it was so fun to see them and have a chance to catch up with PW and MW. For the most part the rest of the day was spent traveling. All in all it was a great day and I received many birthday wishes on the phone, in a text message or in person. Another year older!
I absolutely love Illinois! I am already looking forward to my next trip, whenever that is. Given the chance I would move back in a heart beat.
No comments:
Post a Comment