Sunday, May 20, 2007

Running With Angels 5K Run

About 6-7 weeks ago one of my colleagues suggested to everyone in the office that we run a 5K race together. The decision was unanimous and we all signed up. Saturday, May 19, 2007 was race day and it was fantastic! It was exhilarating and to tell you the truth I wanted to run again! It sounds strange but once I caught my breath, wiped away the sweat that was dripping into my eyes, had a few orange slices and water I wanted to run again if only to see if I could do better.

The one down side to race day was that my colleague who had inspired all of us to sign up, train and run sprained her ankle two days before the race and was not able to participate with us. Bummer! I felt that I was running for more than just myself, I was running for her as well. My time: 35:45 (unofficially). Now, I have a benchmark...a time to beat. My next race is June 23rd and I am already excited. The four of us run/walking came through the finish line within about 5 minutes (or less) of each other. That was the most fun...to see the others come across the finish line.

I arrived at the race location with two of my colleagues and before we could even park all of us were feeling a bit intimidated. There were runners on the road warming up and they looked fit, trim and experienced...like marathon runners. I tried not to get that into my head and instead remembered what my Dad has said to me as I left that morning, "...You're out there to have fun". It's true...this was supposed to be fun! I knew that I wanted to do well but I also needed to remember that this was my first race (I ran a 5K about 6 years ago but I'm not going to count it). The race started and I could not help myself, I started to run, working to keep my pace where it should be knowing that I had 3.2 miles to go. I walked three times during the 3.2 miles but kept a fast walking pace. Overall I would say I ran just under three miles and walked the rest. My goal for the next race is to run the entire 3.2 miles and to decrease my time.

For me this was a big accomplishment. I started training just over 6 weeks ago and I can tell you that my training paid off. I also know that my training can improve. I am excited to get out there and train harder and more seriously. I am adding in some [bike] riding as well to build my endurance and muscle strength. And I have commitments from two of my colleagues to run the 5K on June 23rd with me. This was not only big for me it was big for them. The feeling we all had on the way home reminded me of a cheer from 8th grade:

"Boy are we enthusiastic! We are feeling G-O-O-D!"

Of course there are arm movements, etc but you can't see that in this blog. Just shout it and emphasize the G-O-O-D!

Here are a couple of pictures from race day. The one on the left is pre-race and the one on the right is post-race.


No comments: