Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Atlanta, GA

I have been to Atlanta before but had forgotten what a big city it is. My day, March 5th, started early with a 7:00 a.m. drive to the convention center for my AV check. It is always interesting to anticipate what I will find with the AV set-up. At these big conventions I am guaranteed to find a huge set-up and this event wasn't any different except that there was a huge tractor trailor behind the stage. Not only was the AV set-up for the live, on location event, this particular organization has an internal TV station. So, SRC was not only presenting to a live audience of 5,000 he also had the potential of presenting to a TV audience of 10,000.

I love to see these organizations, that are doing really well, celebrate in style. This group opened the session with a Gosepl Choir...awesome! This was followed by a great Rah! Rah! state of the organization speech by the founder. I also love it when oraganizations with a lot of money put that money to good use, supporting a cause, so to speak. This particular group celebrated its involvement with The Children's Miracle Network by spotlighting the Child of the Year. Asking this young man to come out of stage and share his vision and accomplishments with the group. It was very powerful to see his attitude of "nothing can stop me" even though he is confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life. They are also involved with the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. To celebrate their involvement with this foundation, country singer, Tracy Byrd performed on stage. It was so great to be there to witness all of this.

SRC was the closing speaker to this session and his message resonated with the mission, vision and spirit of the organization and the event. It was so neat to look out at the captive audience and realize they are really listening, they are really learning. That is when I know the presentation has been a success.

The flight home was a hoot! One of the flight attendants could be described as a cattle driver, pig wrangler, traffic cop, comedian. He stood at the door into the plane and, over the intercom, directed people to find their seat, step out of the aisle before putting their bag in the overhead bin. It was hilarious. This guy is the size of a line backer so no one wanted to go against what he was saying. As he told quite a few people, his job is to make sure we leave ON TIME. No one can argue with that reasoning. One of the other flight attendants said that since this guy has been on the planes their on-time departures have increased. What he is doing is working!

I find that at the conclusion of an event or series of events and I know I am going home, I come down from this adrenaline high and feel as though I have not slept in days. I continue to marvel and how tiring traveling can be.

No comments: