Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Let’s talk toilets!

Don’t worry I won’t get graphic or leaving someone throwing up in their mouth a little bit. As we exited the plane in Copenhagen, SRC said, “We should have practiced going to the bathroom on a garbage can before coming here.” Now, I’m thinking to myself, “What in the world is he talking about?” Then, I saw the toilets. Seriously, I have to wonder how the little children do it…let’s call it the “mouth” of the toilet is like the opening in a round trash can. There’s no settling in for a long sit on these toilets. Anyone with a substantial bazwazwa (bum) would be fine but a person lacking in that area of the body might just slip and fall in. Is this too much information? Too bad!

The flushers (I don’t know what else to call them) come in all types: a button on top of the toilet, a knob that you pull up (also on top of the toilet) or a large, and I mean large, button on the wall behind the toilet. It’s a discovery adventure every time I enter a new restroom or hotel room.

I am thankful that there are pedastle toilets in these countries and not the, how can I say this quietly, holes in the floor like those in Singapore.


Bucharest, Romania

We have been to and are now leaving Bucharest. We arrived last night about 9:30 p.m. and were quickly whisked away to the Marriott in downtown Bucharest. Beautiful hotel! As we drove to the hotel I was amazed at the number of large, old buildings with amazing architecture: columns, ornate carvings, etc. Our driver took us by the event location and my jaw fell to the floor. It is called the Parliament Palace or Peoples Palace and it is larger than the Pentagon. Once we checked into the hotel I went over to the Parliament Palace for the AV rehearsal. I learned a bit more about this building There are 12,500 rooms…the rooms I saw were huge; the hallways expansive and filled with marbled and beautiful chandaleires. The doors were at least 12 feet tall, if not taller. The windows were also very tall with beautiful tapestries covering them. This building used to be home to one family (husband, wife and three kids). Apparently over 100 homes were torn down in order to get the land to build this palace. It is now used for public events and houses some businesses. Amazing! These pictures do not even come close to showing how amazing it was.

The program today was fantastic! SRC came away with a great feeling of having connected with the people. A book signing was built into the day and I think SRC signed at least 400 books, maybe more. There was a Q&A after lunch and the book signing. I think I enjoy these sessions more than the straight teaching sessions because it draws out the participants more and it humanizes SRC. The Q&A today was great: the questions were well thought out and insightful. Those asking the questions asked in English and many had prepared the question ahead of time writing it down so they could say it correctly in English. I found that interesting! It was a great event with close to 800 people attending. They were all given a copy of the 8th Habit in Romanian. SRC was so excited to see that book. One of his granddaughters served an LDS mission in Romania so he is excited to show her the book. The Romania people were very respectful and seemed quiet but I think a big part of that is they feel shy in approaching SRC and speaking English.
I am sure the AV crew thinks I am this crazy blond from America. Right before the Q&A I walked over to the AV table and as I did I could hear music playing and the music was the type that made you want to dance. So, I said, “This music makes we want to dance a jig”. I then proceeded to dance a jig…just a short one. The AV crew just looked at me like I had lost my mind. I got a kick out of it! Sometimes I just crack myself up.


We had a police escort on the way to the airport tonight. It was crazy but saved a lot of time! We drove over curbs, the wrong way, over large medians...it was quite an experience.

Scott, don’t hate me but I didn’t get any coins from Romania.

Off we go into the wild blue yonder…Stockholm, here we come!

No comments: