Amarillo by mornin’, up from San Antone…
I can’t help but sing that song as we fly away from Amarillo, TX. What a great day this has been! SRC was speaking to a group of about 1200 people in the city of Amarillo. This was an ethical conference so much of his speech was on trust, personal greatness, leadership greatness and organizational greatness. At the end of the speech SRC participated in a panel with two other people and a moderator. It was an open dialogue with answers to great questions dealing with ethics and personal responsibility. Now, before I tell you this next part I will begin by saying that every time I hear SRC speak I learn something and I feel lucky to have the chance to hear him speak so often. The highlight of my day today was meeting President George H. W. Bush. SRC and I were able to get our picture taken with him and the President put his arm around me, so…I put my arm around him. I have no idea how the picture will turn out but to know that I have met him and as SRC said, “had him in my arms” was a highlight. We stayed to hear Pres. Bush’s speech and it was so good. I had no idea what to expect but he was funny and personable and…well, human. GHWB talked about his family and shared funny insights into his life as a father, son, dad, grandfather; his work with President Clinton, and he touched on ethics/values in leadership. I think one thing that impressed me the most was at the luncheon held before his speech to the large audience. Pres. Bush stood to say a few brief words and told the crowd of about 100 that the highlight of his life right now is being a grandfather, father and husband. He got choked up while he was saying this. Wow! It was quite something. I don’t know that you can really prepare to meet someone famous or of great importance. For the most part I am able to stay calm, cool and collected…and freak out afterward. Really, it was an honor to meet President Bush and shake his hand. He even made fun of Dana Carvey who made fun of him while Pres. Bush was president. It was hysterical.
I am constantly impressed with the people that I meet. The AV crew was great and so helpful and friendly. Each member of the client staff was terrific and also very helpful. I was able to meet and talk to the Mayor of Amarillo…she is a ball of fire. What a pleasure to visit cities, states, countries and meet such genuinely nice, kind people. There truly is kindness in the world.
Next stop…Mexico City, Mexico.
Thursday, November 02, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment