Saturday, November 11, 2006

San Pedro Sula, Honduras

Prior to leaving on this trip I sent an email to my family and friends letting them know of this blog and providing a few details of where I would be going. My oldest brother replied and at the end of the email closed by saying, “…have fun among my people.” Murray served/lived in Chile for two years on an LDS mission and he became very fond of the Chileans. Not having visited Central or South America before I had no idea what was in store for me. The people in these countries are beautiful, polite, friendly and so kind. I can see now why Murray would say “my people”. It would be easy to become attached to them because of their beauty…within and without.

Honduras is said to be one of the poorest countries in Central America. I saw only a fraction of what I am sure is the level of poverty. We traveled in nice vehicles, stayed in a plush hotel with room service, a pool, and air conditioning. I feel selfish with what I have been given and what I have been blessed with. I don’t know if this trip will change me in regard to my material possessions…but I can tell you have I new appreciation for what I do have. Honduras is a beautiful country with green, plush mountains and, like El Salvador, Palm Trees. Talk about hot! I thought I was going to burn up in my suit.

I arrived at the main event location yesterday morning to find a fantastic auditorium for SRCs speech but it was hotter than hot and muggy. Now for those who know me well you will understand when I say, I wanted to turn around and go back to my hotel room. I had a job to do so I removed my suit coat and got to work. Luckily I had worn a shade shirt (white, with sleeves) otherwise I would have had to keep my suit coat on. It was not until I got back to my hotel room in the evening and removed my suit coat and looked in the mirror that I could see that mom would have died if she had seen me. Not as bad as a wet t-shirt contest but close. I will leave it at that and let your imagination take it the rest of the way. Yikes! Luckily it was not bright as day in the auditorium.

The event yesterday was fantastic…a small group of about 150 in the morning and a large group of 500 in the afternoon. Between the two sessions a meeting with the President of Honduras had been arranged. We were to have an l hour lunch meeting with the President and his aide/right hand man. When the president came into the room he said hello to everyone, including me. I was at the table getting the AV set up as he came over. I stood up and he came forward and in the way of the culture said hello, placing his hands on my shoulders and pulling me in to give me a kiss on the cheek. I was pretty well rehearsed in this practice from the previous Central American countries so I did the same, also taking him by the shoulders and [air] kissing his cheek. Can you believe it? The President of a country?! We said our goodbyes in the same way. SRC presented him with an 8th Habit book and The Speed of Trust. Both were well received by the President. It was a good but short meeting.

SRC and I went to the mall last night, had ice cream and enjoyed walking among the people. As we were perusing the food court our pilots, Ryan and Andrew, came up to us. They had been sitting in a restaurant and saw us pass by first saying, “who is that blonde girl?” followed by “its Chelsea and SRC”. It was fun to see them there…and in normal clothes. (For the girls who are reading this, let me just say, WOW! to how cute they looked.) It was also a bit strange to see other white Americans among the Honduras people.

Today SRC taught a group of LDS leaders from San Pedro Sula. This event had been arranged by the BYU Alumni Honduras chapter President. It was a small group but wonderful to see the fire in their eyes and feel of their spirits. At the conclusion of the film, Masterpiece, SRC stood up with his interpreter by his side to give his closing remarks. The interpreter could hardly speak he was so overcome by the message of Masterpiece and also the spirit of SRCs message. I was very touched. The interpreter, Steve, is the chapter president and the one I worked with to pull the event together.

And now, we are on our way to Barbados. All of us, SRC, Ryan, Andrew and I are so excited to have some time to play.

No comments: